Thursday, October 19, 2017

Still Smarter than Siri

Image by Apple Inc.

Everyday, I find myself using the “Siri” function on my iPhone. I ask her to call my fiancé, to text my boss, email a fellow student, and how long it will take me to get home. Although she seems to be very smart and helpful when completing these tasks, sometimes I wonder if Siri is as smart as she seems.

The answer us undeniably no. Siri is able to complete these tasks because she is programed a certain way. If I say “Call Mom,” she will call my mom, as that is my mom’s contact name in my phone. Although, if I say “Call my fiancé,” she will not know who to call and will not be able to complete this task as she does not know which contact in my phone is my fiancé, as the words “my fiancé” is not his contact name.

Check out a list of commands that Apple’s Siri can complete for you here.

Like all other computers, Siri can follow a set of programed algorithms. If we stray want to use her function, we have to follow those algorithms to complete our desired task. While computers can use elements artificial intelligence (see this BBC video on artificial intelligence to learn more), it is up to us to program these computers with our own human intelligence to follow our commands and achieved the desired outcome.

-Hannah Leigh Johnson

1 comment:

  1. This was a very informative read for me today! As someone who never uses Siri for any everyday interactions with my phone, I totally understand what you mean about having to work with siri in order to get what you want done. I guess I figure I can do whatever faster on my own rather than making sure I am making it the easiest on SIri. Also that video was extremely interesting!

    ReplyDelete